[ art / co / ot / q / qt / v ] [ 3dpd / unf ] [ g / sic ] [ countdown / hyperindex / linkboard / quest archive / stream ] [ Hamburger Time Calendar / MLPG Beacon / Donate / Game & Mumble Servers ] [ Rules & FAQs / Credits ] [ Mod ] [ home ]

/q/ - Quest

Name
Email
Subject
Comment

File
:
Password (For file deletion.)

  [Go to bottom]   [Catalog]   [Return]   [Archive]

File: 1599870988351.png (393.04 KB, 811x976, kothbiro.png)

 No.746978[Last 50 Posts]

Our heroes have journeyed far and faced many dangers, culminating in their daring escapade in the arid city of Galatian, where they retrieved the Heart of the Sun once and for all, crossing the agents of the sinister warlord Styr Thenn. Aided by one of his former servants, a zorse named Kothbiro, they destroyed the precious jewel, that none could claim it.

Their actions will not go without repercussions, however. They are in hostile territory, on the run from Thenn's servants. Aided by a mysterious ally known only as the Fire Witch, they travel now to the closest pocket of civilization on the borders of Thenn's territory. From there, only the stars and I know what awaits them…

 No.746979

Reposting:

>>746727
>>746728
>>746729
>>746730
Vajra gets a bit of a sensory overload as she tries to detect life. There's a lot of creatures nearby. A lot.

As she tries to recover, the rest of you notice some rustling nearby. Before you can react, however, a small, furry creature bursts out, biting Vajra's tail, then rushes back into the bushes as quickly as it appeared. You hear it let out a shrill staccato yelp, followed by an answering call of dozens of the critters all around. The bushes seem to come alive as more of them start rushing towards you from afar!
>Vajra takes 2 hits

"This doesn't look good," Kothbiro mutters through gritted teeth, readying her axe. Saskia growls quietly and bristles, baring her triangular shark-like teeth.
>pausing

 No.746981

>>746979
>>746731
I grip my spear in both hands. As more of the little critters dart out, I haul back and sweep it close to the ground, aiming to strike it with the shaft even if I miss with the blade.

[1d10]DC-1

Roll #1 7 = 7

Roll #1 8 = 8

 No.746982

>>746979
"I freaking knew it!" Kalidan exclaims, casting an accusatory eye at the group. "We avoided one ambush but blundered right into another!"

He leaps to Vajra's side, unsheathing his wicked claws and dropping low to the ground, thick black fur on high alert from his tiny mane to the tip of his quivering tail, ears swiveling around as he stands ready to protect the serpent-witch from unknown danger all around.

 No.746983

>>746979
Noghu takes to a tree, trying to climb up to a nearby branch to get a better view of how many they're dealing with.

[1d10+1] Climb

Roll #1 5 + 1 = 6

 No.746984

>>746979
Sunbeam catches up with the group.

"What doesn't look good Kothbiro? This all looks fine really." She says, completely unironically. "Really, this is the play of children for us."

Sunbeam tries to identify where most of the attack is coming from.

Perception [1d10]

Roll #1 3 = 3

 No.746985

>>746981
You swing at the moving bushes. While the creatures disperse easily and take minimal damage (you only manage to kill one and wound another), the tall grass and other greenery is swept away, exposing them to further attack.

>>746982
"Not the time, rug," Kothbiro snaps.

>>746983
You clamber up to a solid branch a few feet above. Judging from the amount of movement all around, there must be at least 50 of them. Maybe more. They're small, but nimble and aggressive, counting more on their agility and numbers to overwhelm their targets.

>>746984
They seem to be spreading out to attack you from all directions.

>>746984
>>746983
>>746982
>>746981
All of a sudden, they burst out from their cover, and the air is alive with chitters and squeals. The creatures, known as Grass Harriers, seem to be split up into four groups, each attacking multiple targets. They're coming from the front, behind, and both sides.

The first swarm of the hairy beasts rushes out to gnaw on Thungr and Sunbeam!
[1d10+1]

The second swarm targets Kothbiro and Saskia, who retaliate with swings and swipes!
[1d10+1]
[2d10]

The third swarm targets Kalidan and Vajra, more aggressively than the others!
[1d10+2]

The fourth swarm starts coursing up the tree to get to Noghu!

Roll #1 10 + 1 = 11 / Roll #2 7 + 1 = 8 / Roll #3 7, 8 = 15 / Roll #4 2 + 2 = 4

 No.746986

>>746985
As the beast strikes Sunbeam, she retaliates with divine fury.

"Begone!"

Wrath at all Harriers in zone (Calm until Provoked) [1d10+2] Autocrit

Roll #1 7 + 2 = 9

 No.746987

>>746985
Seeing his allies get swarmed far more than her, Noghu throws a bola at the first swarm trying to use it more like a ranged weapon rather than something to disable them, seeing their viciousness being far greater than the rest.

>Bola; instant, recharge 2, weapon, ranged: Throws a bola to temporarily disable a target. Bola does no damage, but on hit interrupts the target's current action and prevents movement, requiring them to break free of the binds that turn. On crit, it also sends the target helpless without dealing a wound of damage.

[1d10+1] DC-1, Crit DC-2 (lucky dog), apparently damage dealing?

He also barks at the ones climb the tree, trying to negate their attacks due to fear should they make it up.

>Word of Power: Use a mix of authority and your own personal methods to extract information from a target that you would not normally get from basic means. In combat you can force an enemy to miss their next attack. On Crit you render the target helpless.

[1d10+1] Crit DC-2 (lucky dog)

Roll #1 3 + 1 = 4 / Roll #2 5 + 1 = 6

 No.746988

>>746985
Hissing in anger as the diminutive creatures snap at her tail, Vajra coils into a defensive posture, scattering cobalt bandages into the soil.

"Bone from ssoil, i call to me, for soulss to take and path make free! reaper!"

[1d10] raise ancient, reaper

The undead saurian coils as well, lunging forward to bury ichor-tipped fangs into the closest Harrier!

[1d10] withering bite

Roll #1 2 = 2 / Roll #2 4 = 4

 No.746989

>>746985
Kalidan growls and swipes at the pack of vermin attacking Vajra and himself with both claws!

Dual Wield, Cleave [2d10]

Roll #1 8, 10 = 18

 No.746990

>>746985
I grunt and wince as the little varmints tear into me. Not about to let a bunch of tiny fuzz swarms be the death of me. I grit my teeth and focus on the one attacking me and the dragon, looking for some larger cluster of them or maybe some easier way to kill the mess of em.

[1d10]Marked for Death

Roll #1 7 = 7

 No.746991

>>746990
[1d10+3]

Roll #1 8 + 3 = 11

 No.746992

>>746987
Your bola misses and falls into the bushes. The ones climbing the tree disorient and scatter like ants for a bit before recomposing their formation.

>>746988
No bones answer your call this time.

The saurian lunges forward, but the devious little creatures spread out as soon as it makes a move, leaving it swinging at the ground. They just as quickly reform and take bites at the saurian's tail, fraying the ancient bones.

>>746989
You slash at them in a sudden frenzy, gutting several and wounding even more. You easily thin the herd before they can get to you two.

>>746990
>>746991
You focus on the swarm. They seem to be using hit and run tactics, dealing burst damage before retreating. They are relying on the terrain to serve as their cover. If it were to be burned or hacked away, they would be exposed and vulnerable…

>>746989
>>746988
>>746987
>>746986
>>746990
Thungr and Sunbeam get quickly overwhelmed. Dozens of tiny, sharp teeth and claws ravage you both. You are rooted in place as they swarm over you, continuing to rip and tear even after they're on the ground.
>Thungr and Sunbeam take 5 hits, helpless

Kothbiro and Saskia get gnawed, but manage to shake them off with blows from the zorse's axe and repeated sundering blows from the direwolf.

At the first sign of danger, the Harriers seem to know to scatter. Swarm 2 and 3 retreat into the tall grass!

Swarm 4 surges towards Noghu, but he avoids getting attacked!

Swarm 1 continues to ravage Thungr and Sunbeam!
[1d10]

Kothbiro springs to action, trying to help up Sunbeam!
[1d10]

Saskia's hackles stand on end, and she lets out a terrifying roar-howl that seems to shake the Harriers' resolve!

Roll #1 4 = 4 / Roll #2 2 = 2

 No.746993

>>746992
I roar as I'm overwhelmed, taking a knee. "The damn bushes," I tell everyone. "Cut down the dern bushes so they can't hide no more!"

If it stays a problem I have another idea. Looks like rain so it shouldn't be too bad, but I don't wanna risk burnin half the forest down to kill some critters if I don't gotta. I lean my weight on my spear shaft and try to pull myself back up.

[1d10]

Roll #1 5 = 5

 No.746994

>>746992
Sunbeam tries to get up, growling angrily as she does. "Insolent creatures!"

 No.746995

>>746994
Get up [1d10]

Roll #1 4 = 4

 No.746996

>>746992
Noghu takes a cautious swing at the creatures, trying out his new fire powers to try to scare them away.

>Restrained Strike: weapon; Stab at an enemy with an aimed strike that doesn’t leave you exposed. This attack doesn’t cause counterattack damage, but can only deal 3 hits at max.

[1d10+1] DC-1, Fire Elementalist

Roll #1 10 + 1 = 11

 No.746997

>>746988
Kalidan, eyes bright from the thrill of the hunt and fur matted with blood, turns to Vajra.
"Hurry up and do your bone magic thing, Slinky!"

>>746992
He bounds over to where Thungr and Sunbeam are getting ravaged by a horde of critters, roaring feline rage. A long string of spittle dangles from his open maw.

>>746993
Skidding to a stop in front of the hulking minotaur, he tries to pull the giant to his hooves.

"This is no time to be laying down, ya dingus!"

Kot Halp Bool [1d10]

Roll #1 8 = 8

 No.746998

>>746997
"Thanks. I still ain't recovered from the dern town," I remind him. "Got tored up a bit, case y'all weren't around to see that part."

 No.746999

>>746992
The ancient saurian retreats, directed to lunge for the swarm assaulting Thungr and sunbeam, tearing at the creatures with reptilian claws!
[1d10] melee

>>746997
Hissing at the comment, she digs through the soil with her magic

"Whirling ssoul from foresst called, to tear away thesse creaturess all!"

[1d10] summon esper: slam

Roll #1 8 = 8 / Roll #2 4 = 4

 No.747000

>>746998
Kalidan merely nods in response to the minotaur, already crouching in anticipation for the next wave of harriers.

 No.747001

>>746993
>>746997
Kalidan helps Thungr to his feet, throwing off several Harriers. Part of the swarm retreat into the bushes.

>>746994
You are weakened by the attack, and fail to recover.

>>746996
You swipe the spear, fending them off and burning a couple of the slower Harriers. They seem to quail at the sight of your flame as you invoke it.

>>746999
The saurian carves through some of the Harriers. They squeal and retreat as they take damage.

>>747000
>>746999
>>746998
>>746996
>>746995
Swarms 1 and 4 also retreat, joining their brethren in the bushes. All's quiet, for now. Neither of your companions let up their guard. "Those polecats are to something," Kothbiro growls. Saskia chuffs in agreement. Both of them try to help up Sunbeam while the peace lasts.
[2d10]

Roll #1 8, 3 = 11

 No.747002

>>747001
As Sunbeam stands back up, she groans in frustration. "Such weakness is unbecoming of my stature." She says. "At least that's what mother always told me. Agghh." She pouts for a moment, then calms down. "Thank you." She says, to nopony in particular.

 No.747003

>>747001
I grunt and turn back toward where we were headed to begin with. "Let's get goin. We gotta find some place to hunker down afore the rain hits."

 No.747004

>>747000
"'Sslinky'?" hisses Vajra, fixing you with an irritated glare.

>>747001
drawing herself to her full height, Vajra tastes the air, gauging the movement of these harriers through the underbrush while following the other's lead.

[1d10] Perception, DC-2 detect life

Roll #1 1 = 1

 No.747005

>>747001
Noghu looks down from the tree, unscathed,
>>747003
"Big solid tree good, if they stalk scent." Noghu puts in as a suggestion for a camp site.

 No.747006

>>747001
Seeing the hordes of critters retreat, the cat sniffs and stands aright. He begins collecting Harrier bodies, gathering them into a small heap and tying them together by the tail with his rope. If anycreature gives him a look, he shrugs. "Might make good eating. Never know."

>>747003
Kalidan moves to follow Thungr. "Good idea. Maybe we can find somewhere a little easier to defend, in case these little morsels aren't the only thing coming."

>>747004
Smirking, the cat verbally jabs at the saurian. "What, you preferred Slithers?"

 No.747007

>>747004
They're coming. They're ALL coming.

>>747006
You find 4 Harriers in decent enough condition. Kothbiro raises an eyebrow. "Ugh. Those things are probably riddled with disease. Enjoy your Shadowpox." Saskia judges you silently for your sins.

>>747003
>>747002
>>747004
>>747005
>>747006
Before Vajra can issue a warning, the bushes seem to explode as the Harriers return! Bursting out of the undergrowth spectacularly, they shriek war cries as they pounce the lot of you all at once!
[1d10+1] [1d10+1] [1d10+1] Crits on 9+, counts the higher roll

Kothbiro and Saskia spring to action! "I knew it! Don't let them get away again!" She swings her axe wildly at the swarm to try and disperse their sudden attack!
[1d10]

Saskia gnashes and swings her massive claws at the sudden swarm!
[1d10+3] Cleave 3

Roll #1 2 + 1 = 3 / Roll #2 5 + 1 = 6 / Roll #3 7 + 1 = 8 / Roll #4 7 = 7 / Roll #5 2 + 3 = 5

 No.747008

>>747006
>>747007
She hisses in anger, about to respond, before the Harriers were upon them!

The ancient saurian coils up for another strike, meeting one of the oncoming swarms with fangs bared!

[1d10] withering bite, swarm 1

Noting kothbiro's suggestion, the sorceress casts bandages deeper into the earth below them.

"Ancient boness, join thiss fight! Bar the way, halt creature'ss flight! bone cage!"

[1d10] raise ancient, bone cage

Roll #1 5 = 5 / Roll #2 6 = 6

 No.747009


 No.747010

>>747007
Noghu cackles worriedly at the sudden onslaught towards his friend, clinging to a branch and barking at them to try and scare some of them off.

[1d10+1] Word of Power

And throws another Bola too to see if he can hit one in the head.

[1d10+1] DC-1 Bola

Roll #1 1 + 1 = 2 / Roll #2 7 + 1 = 8

 No.747011

Kalidan snarls at the audacity of these vermin. "Haven't you ever heard of the food chain?" He slashes out at the creatures that his every instinct tells him is prey, not predator.

Cleave (4), Dual Wield [2d10]

Roll #1 8, 9 = 17

 No.747012

>>747007
I grit my teeth, shrug my pack off my shoulders, and pull out some of the oil I bought. Ain't dealin with this no more. Gotta get out of the storm. Uncorking it, I sling it on the ground in a wide arc in front of us, dig out my fire kit, strike a piece of char cloth, and drop it.

[1d10]

Roll #1 10 = 10

 No.747013

>>747008
>>747009
>>747010
>>747012
>>747011
Everything seems to happen at once.

The Harriers throw themselves at you in a frenzy, flailing and tearing into you all.

Kalidan claws at them all, killing and maiming many of them, even throwing them about.

Saskia's jaws snap at thin air, though she catches a few and rips them to bits. Kothbiro's axe swings, cleaving the feisty beasts in twain.

Noghu helps thin the crowd by hurling his bolas, disrupting their future attacks.

Sunbeam then explodes in a brilliant light display, knocking them all way and scattering the Harriers in every direction. Many die from the shockwave, thinning their numbers significantly.

Vajra raises great bones from the earth in a spherical pattern, encasing you all within an orb of bone lattice.

Finally, as they begin to retreat again, Thungr lights his oil. The flame springs to life and begins to spread across the tall grass with terrifying speed. The remaining Harriers yelp and head for the hills as their cover is blown.

When all is said and done, all that's left is the two of you standing in a cage of bone, amidst a ring of fire and many dead rodents.
>everyone takes 4 hits except Vajra who takes 3

Kothbiro breathes heavily, watching like a hawk in case they decide to come back. After several tense moments, however, it becomes clear they won't. She breathes a soft sigh of relief and holsters her axe. "That was quite something. Good work, everyone. That could've been much worse. We should-" She breaks off in a sudden coughing fit from the rising smoke. Saskia snarls and looks around. The Harriers are gone, but you're going to have to find a way out of the spreading fire. And quickly. The flames spread faster than you can think.

 No.747014

>>747013
"A display worthy of royalty." Sunbeam says, then reconsiders: "Ack.. I should not say that. Such over confident behavior is so… unkind. Nevertheless, well done friends." Sunbeam says, unphased by the smoke.

"Oh, I forget you are not of draconic descent. Well, who is coming first?" She says, readying her wings to carry.

 No.747015

>>747013
Noghu is incredibly surprised at the fact that the Harriers somehow climbed up the tree faster than he could react to, yelping in pain. He quickly runs away from the fire, not paying attention if the party is going the same direction.

[1d10+1] run

Roll #1 7 + 1 = 8

 No.747016

>>747013
>>747013
I cringe and bury my spear head into the ground, making an attempt to drag a trench through the dirt to contain the flames before they get out of hand.

[1d10](+2 and DC4 if Survivalist applies)

Roll #1 6 = 6

 No.747017

>>747013
Lights and fire blind the sorceress as the sounds of any tiny paws scampering away mark the end of the fighting.

Opening her eyes, only to have them stung by smoke and heat from the fire, she releases the bone cage, skeletal frame crumbling to dust and linen, before turning to help Thungr displace the flames!

[1d10] extinguish

the ancient saurian moves quickly, sweeping it's tail to kick up dirt into the flames.

[1d10] assist

Roll #1 5 = 5 / Roll #2 4 = 4

 No.747018

>>747013
"Ack!" The cat pulls his tail back away from the encroaching flame. "Fire bad!!"

Without a thought to his companions, Kalidan hunches low to the ground on all fours and attempts to leap over the circle of burning oil.

Limber [1d10]

Roll #1 10 = 10

 No.747019

>>747014
"Why is *cough* is it always fire!…" Kothbiro can't speak much, but motions for you to give her a boost up and out; as the smallest, it makes sense.

>>747015
You manage to clamber up the tree and jump to higher ground. Seems like the flames won't reach you here.

>>747016
>>747017
With the help of the three of you, you manage to carve a path out of the flames and back the way you came. Looks like you'll have to take the mountain path now.

>>747018
You leap over the flames in a single powerful bound and climb up a nearby tree. You're safe from the fire here.

>>747018
>>747015
You suddenly realize you've both picked the same tree, and are sitting right next to each other.

>>747014
>>747015
>>747016
>>747017
>>747018
Saskia walks straight into the wildfire, then back out. She's completely unaffected. She lowers her head to offer Vajra and her minion a ride out. Kothbiro looks over to Sunbeam, pointing out Thungr and Kalidan in the tree wordlessly, still stifled by the smoke.

 No.747020

>>747019
I pull my pack back on, turn back the way we were headed, and silently start walking.

 No.747021

>>747019
"We go then, friend." She says, scooping Kothbiro up and flying away from the flames.

Once she sets Kothbiro down a safe distance she heads back to get more friends.

Fly with Zeeb [1d10]

Roll #1 10 = 10

 No.747022

>>747015
>>747019
Correction: Noghu jumps down to where the fire hasn't yet spread, and towards where Thungr and Vajra are carving out a path out of harm's way. Kalidan is still in a tree.

 No.747023

>>747019
Nodding, Vajra scrabbles aboard the fire witch's ally, her skeletal saurian eerily mirroring the motion.

 No.747024

>>747019
>>747022

Kalidan, sitting pretty up on his safety branch, stretches languorously. He whistles to catch the attention of the gang, gestures at the quickly spreading wildfire.

"Do you see how you are? This is why we can't have nice things."

He sighs, all satirical melodrama, then pulls out his flute and plays a light-hearted ditty to raise their spirits.

The Song of My People [1d10] (The catboi plays a hand-made flute, inspiring allies. While not in combat, allies within hearing range receive +1 to all rolls)

Roll #1 3 = 3

 No.747025

>>747024
The smoke billows and chokes you, preventing you from playing more than a pathetic pftweee. Saskia gives you a withering look. "If you're *cough* done playing Nero…" Kothbiro motions for you to come down.

>>747023
>>747020
>>747021
>>747024
You all manage to retreat from the wildfire, going back more or less the way you came. You're alive and mostly unharmed, but you burned a lot of daylight. Literally. With the path you were going to take, the only option is to press on through the mountainside path.

It's getting late now, and the storm clouds are starting to get closer. Daylight is dimming. You'll have to find some form of shelter, and soon, lest you be caught out in a thunderstorm all night. The dimming light doesn't make navigating the rocky path ahead much easier either. Saskia doesn't seem to have much trouble with the dark, but Kothbiro squints to see in the sundown gloom. "Hopefully nothing jumps us in the night," she grumbles. "Let's find a cave or something, and quick. I don't like the look of those clouds." The sky above rumbles as if to acknowledge her concerns.
>roll Navigation

 No.747026

>>747025
I grunt. "Don't need a cave," I assure her. "Just a flat surface with a cliff that ain't right in the wind. Got me a giant tarp in my bag. I'll set us up a shelter and build a fire. Wait the storm out. Get some rest and take guard shifts."

[1d10]Nav

Roll #1 1 = 1

 No.747027

>>747025
Sunbeam breathes out a little fire to light her and Kothbiro's way. "I usually do not stay awake this late." She chimes in as she searches.

Navigation [1d10]

Roll #1 5 = 5

 No.747028

>>747025
Kalidan looks a bit crestfallen as his lungs are not up to the task. He scowls at Kothbiro, but dutifully hops down to trek after the troupe, shoulders and tail drooping to show his disappointment.

This doesn't last long, however, and before they've journeyed half a league he's piping away at his rough flute again, playing in time to the march he keeps, softly so as not to attract attention or annoy his compatriots. The tune is more solemn, nostalgic even.

Song of my People [1d10]

He stops at Koth's precaution, looks around for a likely place to hunker down.

Navigation [1d10]

Roll #1 10 = 10 / Roll #2 6 = 6

 No.747029

>>747025
Brushing herself off, Vajra and her minion dismount Saskia. Slithering over the rocky terrain with serpentine grace, she follows behind their guide, mindful of the path ahead.
[1d10] navigation

"The ssmell of ssmoke sstill clingss to my gauze, but it iss an adequate ssacrifice to ssee the harrierss away quickly." says the Sorceress, sticking her tongue out for emphasis.

Roll #1 3 = 3

 No.747030

>>747026
>>747027
>>747028
>>747029
Kalidan's mournful little tune fills the party's hearts with a strange resolve. You feel a bit of angst at all that's happened, but also hopeful for what the future may bring. Though you've made powerful enemies, you are still free spirits.
>+1 to everyone's next roll

As you continue through the mountains, following Thungr's lead, you start getting the feeling you're going in circles. You can't find anywhere to shelter either. You end up getting caught in the rain as you search for a place.

It's Kalidan, for once, that breaks the mold and manages to get the group out of their precarious situation. You hole up in a large, semi-hidden cave that he notices for the night. Kothbiro gets started on making a fire as quickly as she can, shivering from the cold of getting caught in the rain. "H-how far back do you think this cave goes?" she wonders out loud. Saskia politely steps away from the party, then shakes herself off vigorously. The cave gets illuminated by flashes of lightning every so often, followed by menacing yet oddly comforting rumbles of thunder. The intense patter of the rain becomes a constant, dull drone in the back of your minds.

 No.747032

>>747030
Sunbeam assists with the fire, trying out her new draconian breath. "Not far, I would think. This area does not seem to mountainous. But what does this one know, correct?" She says, gently blowing on the fire.

 No.747033

>>747030
Circles. I was actually goin in circles. Mind ain't what it oughta be for some reason. I pull out some of the mixed trail rations, my wool blanket, and my flask. Without saying anything, I put my blanket down, pull half of it over my shoulder, and wolf down my food. After a quick swig of my flask, I turn away from the fire and close my eyes.

 No.747034

>>747030
As a cold-blooded saurian, Vajra takes the rain particularly poorly, looking rather drained as she snakes her way into the cave, coiling up near the sparking fire for warmth.

"We may need to take sshiftss of watch." the sorceress replies sluggishly. "The rain could make for usseful cover."

 No.747035

>>747030
Kalidan proudly points the way, finding some kind of satisfaction from finally being of use to his new pride… er, pack. He huddles into the dry breezy cave and without shame strips his finery off, wringing it out and draping it over a rock formation to dry. He then commences grooming himself.

Looking up at Koth's query, he saunters over to the winking flame she's produced and lays near, soaking up the heat.

"Who cares? It's not like this is going to be a shortcut. Where are we going again, anyway?"

>>747034
Seeing Vajra's discomfort, he casually crawls near to her side, flipping her occasionally with his tail, proffering, but not overbearingly, his warmth to her.

 No.747036

>>747035
>>747032
With your newfound breath, you stoke the campfire, quickly turning Kothbiro's little sparks into a merry blaze. She smiles. "That Fire Witch's gifts are coming in handy, huh. …" She trails off, remembering the vision she was granted, clamming up all of a sudden.

>>747033
You silently turn in for the evening. Kothbiro seems a little conscious of you being quieter than usual. "Something on your mind?" she asks as she rummages through her bags. She doesn't have much to offer save for some strips of meat and a slightly squashed tomato. She offers you some of either. Or both.

>>747034
Kothbiro seems more than happy to join you by the fire, still shivering slightly from the cold. "Why not get Bones there to guard for us?" She motions at your undead minion. "Doesn't need to sleep. Just leave it at the entrance, and if it causes a ruckus something's probably up. Right? I don't know how magic works."

>>747035
"Just curious. Might be worth something checking out further that way." Saskia prowls off into the darkness of the cave without a word, presumably to explore a bit.

>>747035
>>747032
She nods in confirmation to Sunbeam, eager to change the topic from her conversation with her. "Not too much further. We should reach that village by this time tomorrow. And from there, well, who knows. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to just lay low for a while…" She yawns and goes through her belongings, lighting up a pipe and taking a few thoughtful puffs. She offers you some if you partake.

 No.747096

>>747035
She notices your offer and hesitates, mulling it over before wordlessly leaning against you.

>>747036
"Hmm.." says the sorceress, perking up thanks to the additional bodyheat. "Yess, that would work. Senssing motion while we ssleep would deter passerss by, long enough to ready oursselvess if needed."

Eying her minion's damaged tail, an idea runs through the sorceress's mind.

Raising a claw, a fluttering of cobalt bandages flow over the damaged segment, in an attempt to bandage the frayed bone.

>EP -1: Rejuvenate: recharge 1, spell; Channel magic into a target to revitalize them, restoring 3 hits. If Rejuvenate targets a minion, it has DC4 and fully restores their hits and heals a wound. If this Crits on a minion, give the minion +2 Max Hits until the end of combat.


[1d10] Rejuvenate

Roll #1 2 = 2

 No.747234

>>747036
I roll over and take the meat, and grunt. "Tired," I mumble before stuffing some of the food into my mouth. I don't stay anything else, but I still stay turned toward the fire with the rest of the group.

 No.747238

>>747036
>>747096
Noghu watches Vajra bandage their minion with magic, silently emulating the bandages with some longer grass nearby, bandaging his wounds with a more natural form of gauze.

>EP -1 Natural Remedy: recharge 1, ranged; Use an unpredictable tincture to either fully restore a target’s hits to full and or removes all status effects. Crits on 9+ to also restore one wound, but Crit Fails on 2- to deal a wound of damage.

[1d10+2]

Roll #1 4 + 2 = 6

 No.747240

>>747096
You manage to bandage your minion. They glow slightly, regrowing the bone and strengthening your minion. Kothbiro watches with curiosity. "Doesn't it bother you manipulating someone's remains like that? I mean, that's a person…"

>>747234
"Same…"

As you curl up, Saskia comes and joins you from the dark of the cave, returning from her exploration, carrying a dead rabbit. She drops it nearby, then comes up to you and sits down by the fire, lowering her head to the ground with a soft exhale. Seems you're not the only ones feeling tired.

There's a bit of a comfortable silence for a while as you eat and rest for a bit alongside your companions. Kothbiro grabs a sharp stick and starts roasting the tomato, but it ends up plopping off the end and into the fire. Her ears fold a little.

"Say." She breaks the silence. "After we get to the village, where do you think we ought to go? Got any plans for afterwards, or do you reckon we should just decide as we go?"

>>747238
You get to work with some tall grass from outside, risking the rain a bit to harvest it. You copy Vajra's bandages, wrapping it around your arm and midsection to treat your wounds. You feel a bit better already. Kothbiro watches with interest. "You're learning," she comments with a bit of a smile. "If you want I can show you how to treat those scrapes. Once we're in a more forested area, though. Not much growing out here in the mountains."

 No.747243

>>747036
"It feels… not like my other magic. Gifts of Trakali, I mean." She says, looking into the fire. "Where do you think this fire witch comes from?"

 No.747244

>>747240
"Stop back by my cabin soon. Grab some of my heavier gear. Check my 'shine still. Gotta get more supplies afore that. Long hike. Means I gotta pick up coupla more jobs. Sides that?" I give her a half shrug. "Ain't too sure."

 No.747245

>>747240
>>747096
Noghu cuts in with Kothbiro speaking on the snake's magic, "Not person, bones." Noghu says, before adding to help explain his philosophy to Kothbiro "Am Noghu. When die, not Noghu. Bones. She use what not used anymore."

As for the comments on the bandage, Noghu seems proud of his bandage, "Bone lizard cannot hide powers from Noghu. Noghu learn magics."

 No.747247

>>747245
>>747240
Vajra looks to the Noghu with surprise as he explains the situation in his own words.

"Indeed. The ssoul hass long ssince departed the body. The magic of my wrappingss animate them with motion, yet they are without life."

 No.747248

>>747243
"Maybe we should ask her, next time we meet," she muses. "I've heard of pyromancers and warlocks like her coming from the Necropolis Litharge in the north. If I had to guess I'd say she's from there, though she doesn't quite have the accent…"

You've heard of this place before, though only in passing. It's an ancient city of black stone, teeming with necromancers and shadow-binders worshipping strange gods. It's said that nothing is forbidden in Litharge, no matter how depraved or terrible. It's a fell place shrouded in rumors, and one most steer well away from.

>>747244
She blinks. "Oh, that's right. You have a home. On a mountain, right? It might not be a bad idea to go there. Seems far enough out of the way, and there's sure to be adventure in that direction." She seems keen on the idea of having a heading in general.

>>747245
>>747247
Kothbiro shares Vajra's surprise at Noghu chiming in on a conversation. "I suppose that makes sense, in a way. Just seems wrong to use what was once someone like that. A corpse should be left alone, I say. …Can't deny it's a useful skill to have, though a risky one. Remember those ghosts we ran into?…"

>>747245
She laughs quietly. "Hehe. It's not magic. Just survival. Surprised you hadn't picked up on it before. What do they usually do in your tribe if someone's wounded?"

 No.747249

>>747248
Noghu responds simply, "If too slow? Kill, eat."

 No.747250

>>747248
"Ah yess. The magic that callss undead iss dangerouss to thosse that cannot bind their will to their creationss."

she emphasizes the point by manipulating the jaw and skull of her undead saurian, running her claws along it's fangs. "The undead are drawn to life, driven to rage by it. It takess a great deal of focuss to keep but a few pliant, ssomething i sseek to improve upon."

 No.747251

>>747248
"Ah." Sunbeam says with a suppressed urge to show her disdain to the mention of necromancy.

"She seems… very wordly. She cares for the greater meaning."

>>747248
Sunbeam chimes in on the discussion between Noghu and Vajra. "In Trakali, we say "Life is not over until the sun sets." It may be a not very well translation, but we consider those who have passed to still be with us, just in other forms."

"You can see how that would cloud ones opinion of necromancy."

 No.747253

>>747248
I nod. "Up in the mountains," I confirm. "Built it roundabouts twenty year ago, but do some work on it afore winter every year. Ain't much, but it's a warm place to lay my head when I ain't out huntin. Got a bunch of trophies from my hunts I keep there, too. Skins and fangs and tusks and skeletons and such." I cock my eyebrow. "Y'all're gonna come with me?"

 No.747255

>>747249
Her lip curls. "Why am I not surprised…"

>>747250
The saurian clacks its jaw slightly comically. Kothbiro watches with interest. "You think they crave what they can't have?"

>>747251
Kothbiro nods. "She's definitely something else. I expected her to be less inviting than she is, from the rumors I'd heard before. It's a good thing we didn't cross her. She seems quite powerful."

She seems a bit amused at your seeming dislike for necromancy. "I can. I suppose that'll have to be put aside for a time, though, given present company…"

>>747253
She shrugs. "It might be a worthwhile venture. Besides, anywhere's better than these lands. Thenn's troops will be on the lookout for us soon enough…" Her expression darkens all of a sudden, taking a few thoughtful puffs of her pipe.

 No.747256

>>747251
"Hmm. I ssee why the roaming dead would not fit ssuch a view."

"By my temple'ss undersstanding, it iss a wasste to ssimply leave the dead to resst."

"The ssands of Abysssinia are a harssh place even in good timess. All who can work musst work, elsse the tribe will not ssurvive. to return the dead for labour iss a necesssity."

 No.747257

>>747255
"Ursine in mind, I myself am…" She pauses, perhaps realizing she has the wrong translation of 'bear', then continuing. "I am less vilifying of the practice, given recent friendships." She says, looking to Vajra.

"I do not think Trakali has always been correct in history in faith. But I should not say such things." She says with the fear of a sunday school child.

 No.747258

>>747255
I hum, nod, and return my attention to the fire. Probably got plenty of money to throw around lookin for us. Imagine he's the vengance seekin type. Ain't good for us.

 No.747259

>>747255
"Own alpha now." Noghu repeats, poking his spear into the fire.

 No.747262

>>747255
She peers into the skull's eye-holes pensively.

"Mm. Perhapss. The magic that animatess the dead iss a sstrange ssort, drawn to life like a moth to fire. Perhapss it iss an echo of their passt exisstence, tied to their form."

"There iss still much to learn of necromancy. It iss not a sschool taught freely away from the ssandss. Too dangerouss."

 No.747264

>>747256
"I understand. Trakali has no need for such laborers. Our lands are fertile and our winds favorable." She is conflicted for a moment. "I see the commoners toil so much. For royalty they'll never meet. If the dead could preform such tasks, why do we force the living?"

 No.747266

>>747255
Kalidan contentedly naps against the snake, letting the words pour over him without feeling the need to add to them.

 No.747268

>>747257
She stifles a smile at your mistake.

"Well, there's no one around to judge you. We're all equal nothings here," she says warmly.

>>747264
>>747262
>>747259
>>747258
>>747266
With full bellies, weary bones, and generally high spirits, you begin to fall asleep. Your rest is peaceful, the gentle patter of the rain outside putting you all to sleep one by one.

The following morning, you awake feeling very well rested. The storm has passed over, and the sun shines brightly through the cave entrance. Kothbiro is still asleep by the time the rest of you wake up, covered in a roughspun blanket and snoring quietly. Saskia nudges her gently to wake her up, but it doesn't seem to be enough. She's out like a light, still on the mend after your adventure in Galatian. The she-wolf looks back at you with a stare that suggests disapproval of her deep sleep.

You get the feeling something's different about the campsite, but you can't quite put your finger on it.

 No.747269

>>747268
I start to pack the few things I unpacked, letting the zebra rest for now. Before I actually move anything, though, I pause and slowly pan over the area. Somethin seems off, but- hmm…

[1d10+3]Perception

Roll #1 5 + 3 = 8

 No.747270

>>747268
Kalidan stretches, yawns and rises. He blinks at the subtly different campsite for a moment, squinting his eyes and pointing his ears, his face masked in sight confusion for a moment.

Perception [1d10]

The moment passes and he shrugs, gathering his pack. He steps over to where Kothbiro is snoozing and looks down at her with Saskia, making no move to wake her. He looks amused at the she-wolf's displeasure.

Roll #1 8 = 8

 No.747271

>>747268
Awakening from her slumber, the sorceress brings herself upright, still coiled near the previous night's fire, now embers.

Still toasty from Kalidan's resting, it takes little time to notice that something is amiss. She uncoils to her full height, tasting the air.

[1d10] perception, DC-2 (detect life)

Roll #1 8 = 8

 No.747272

>>747268
> +1 wound I assume

Noghu looks for a clean and deep enough puddle to look over his battered complexion in the reflection and to wash himself.

 No.747274

>>747268
"Do you usually wake up early as well?" Sunbeam says to Saskia as she attempts to wake Kothbiro, already awake and sitting by the embers of the fire.

 No.747279

>>747269
>>747270
>>747271
You notice footprints in the back of the cave. They look like they belong to some sort of clawed creature. Something was watching you during the night, but chose not to engage. Further inspection reveals they made off with one of your bags, despite having the skeleton on guard. Vajra detects they must have come from deep inside the cave.

>>747272
You manage to find a nice puddle outside. It's not deep or anything, but it'll do to get washed up.

>>747274
No response from the direwolf except for a slow blink.

>>747274
>>747272
>>747271
>>747270
>>747269
Sunbeam's jostling stirs Kothbiro. She frowns and blinks a bit, getting up with a bit of a groan. "What time is it?" she mumbles, stretching out like a cat and cracking her neck. "Should probably hit the road so we can get to the place already…"

 No.747280

>>747279
Seeing the tracks, Vajra hisses in anger!

"Hsssh! We were robbed! The ssandss-touched creature retreated deeper into the cave!"

 No.747281

>>747279
"Ah. Do not worry friend, you can learn this language soon enough as well" She says with a smile.

"inalik, Kothbiro, come on now, let us go." She says, forgetting to translate the actual time.

 No.747282

>>747280
>>747279
Vajra hurriedly checks to make sure everything she carries is with her.
[1d10] equipment check

Roll #1 8 = 8

 No.747283

>>747279
>>747280
"If shallow, can smoke out." Noghu mentions, "Creature who no breath either die or run."

 No.747284

>>747279
I grit my teeth and let out a quiet growl. A'course the dern skeleton didn't stop whatever that was. Can't rely on witchery for nothin. I double check my own gear before packing up and making my way out of the cave. Gonna have to cycle night watch between livin folks from now on.

 No.747285

>>747283
"Ah, that could work, though it'ss sscent iss further down than expected."

 No.747286

>>747280
>>747281
>>747282
>>747283
>>747284
"Wait, what?" Kothbiro sluggishly rises to her feet, looking around with a frown. "Ugh… Let's just hope we can get to the village by tonight. I don't fancy sleeping on rocks. Let's just… let's just go."

With that slightly grating start to the day, you set off into the mountains.

The skies above are clear, and the world is quiet here. Ahead is an expanse of rocky terrain, with minimal grasslands and narrow, winding passages through dirt and stone. Occasionally, a raptor will fly overhead, on the hunt for prey. Kothbiro points out an adjacent mountain. "Just past there, we'll be able to start descending into Nira Valley. At the bottom is a bend of the river, and on it, the village of Oriole. That'll be the border of Galatian territory. Let's just hope we don't run into trouble…"

As you press onward, it becomes increasingly tricky to navigate the landscape, both due to the monotonous nature of it and the spiked rocks that become part of the natural geography. Saskia steps gingerly as you press forward, and Kothbiro takes the highest ground she can, trying to forge the path ahead.
>roll Navigation

 No.747287

>>747286
Well, if we're this close I'm sure we ain't gonna find nothin we can't handle afore we reach the village. I adjust my pack on my back and continue on into the mountains.

[1d10]Nav

Roll #1 8 = 8

 No.747288

>>747286
Still fuming over the morning's theft, she slinks forward over the jagged path ahead.

[1d10] navigation

"Curssed beasst.. leaving while it holdss our thingss.. indignity.." she grumbles, tapping a claw on crossed arms as her minion snakes along behind her.

Roll #1 7 = 7

 No.747289

>>747286
Noghu trails behind and picks up the rear, watching over the rest of the party cautiously.
[1d10+1]

Roll #1 1 + 1 = 2

 No.747290

>>747286
"Ah, such a peaceful change in scenery, yes friends?"

Sunbeam says, happily trekking along.

Navigation [1d10]

Roll #1 7 = 7

 No.747291

>>747268
Kalidan follows the pack wordlessly. His usual talkative nature seems to be dampened by something. Climbing the occasional tree to get a better view around the area, he stays within eyesight but not close enough to hear Kothbiro's explanations.

Navigation [1d10]

Roll #1 5 = 5

 No.747292

>>747286
"Ah, sso it sseems our detour did not cosst uss too much time after all. I had not expected uss to be sso closse."

 No.747294

>>747287
>>747288
>>747289
>>747290
>>747291
You move on. The journey across the mountain is exhausting, but by pacing yourselves, you conserve your strength, and prevent yourselves from succumbing to fatigue. At one point, Noghu slips, almost falling off the side of the cliff. He catches himself, but not before suffering a large, painful gash down his left forearm.
>Noghu takes 1 wound

Eventually, you come to a bit of a crossroads:

The high road, which you are on, takes you to a point in the mountain that seems to end in some sort of giant nest. Going there might risk having to deal with whatever inhabits those rocks.

The low road seems to open up into a system of stone tunnels, which seem to have been dug by a rock-boring creature at some point. Taking this path would entail navigating a complex maze, in relative darkness to boot.

Saskia looks pointedly in the direction of the tunnel maze, while Kothbiro seems to think otherwise. "As long as we give the nest a wide berth and avoid tampering with it, we should be able to pull through. Right?" Both of them look at you, waiting for you to weigh in.

 No.747296

>>747294
"Hm. Iss Ssaskia familiar with the tunnelss? It may make for sswift travel if our guide can sshow uss the path."

 No.747297

>>747294
Sunbeam dashes over to Noghu after his tumble, offering him a few of her wraps to cover up his wound.

After which, she looks over the two paths. "I agree with the wolf. I do not seek to fight a spider in her home."

 No.747298

>>747294
Kalidan eyes the large nest warily. "I don't really get on with humongous birds, or whatever it is. My vote is for the tunnels as well."

 No.747299

>>747297
>>747294
Noghu pushes Sunbeam away passively attempts to patch his wound with plants found along the mountainside himself, whimpering softly enough not to have the others overhear.

>Natural Remedy: recharge 1, ranged; Use an unpredictable tincture to either fully restore a target’s hits to full and or removes all status effects. Crits on 9+ to also restore one wound, but Crit Fails on 2- to deal a wound of damage.

[1d10+1]

"Tunnel work."

Roll #1 5 + 1 = 6

 No.747300

>>747299
Sunbeam lets out a small sigh of disappointment and disapproval towards Noghu's rejection. She then agrees with his choice.

"We even have an expert."

 No.747301

>>747294
Without even considering the tight, cramped spaces filled with no knowin what, goin no knowin how deep, and extendin no knowin how far, I start walkin toward the high road.

 No.747302

>>747296
Saskia looks over to you and paws the ground slightly. You don't get the sense she's familiar with them per se, but rather prefers it to the alternative of confronting whatever built a giant nest.

 No.747303

>>747301
>>747302

Though seeing Thungr head another way, Noghu assumes he has a better plans than just words and follows.

 No.747304

>>747294
>>747301
Seeing Thungr move with determination up the high path, the sorceress opts to follow.

>>747302
"Hmm.. the dark of the tunnelss iss concerning. Perhapss Thungr hass a point. If we are ambusshed, it iss better to face it in full light than by torch."

 No.747305

>>747301
[1d10+2]DC 4 Survivalist (Craft stone tipped javelins)

Roll #1 7 + 2 = 9

 No.747306

>>747305
You managed to craft 6 javelins during downtime.

 No.747307

>>747297
>>747298
"Splitting up seems like a bad idea," Kothbiro points out. Saskia just looks at her snootily, turning up her nose slightly before heading off into the tunnels.

It's dark in here. Too dark. Saskia barely fits in the tunnels, and you are forced to walk in single file. Without a proper light source, you can't see more than a few feet ahead of you. Saskia pauses, then looks over her shoulder at Sunbeam, as if wanting her to do something about it.

>>747299
>>747304
>>747301
Kothbiro joins you as you creep closer to the nest. It seems to be made of large branches, leaves, and other such things that a nest is normally made of. Within are three enormous eggs, white as snow and spackled with black dots. Each egg is the size of Thungr's torso. Kothbiro seems to recognize them, color draining from her face a little. "Okay, changed my mind. This isn't a fight we can win. Let's turn back."

You get the feeling the nest's owner is watching you.

 No.747308

>>747307
Her confidence is the direction evaporates as the eggs come into view, though she hides the concern well enough.

>>747305
"Hmm.. Thungr, perhapss we sshould reconssider?"

 No.747309

>>747307
"Of course." Sunbeam blows a small little light in front of her, its light reflecting off her scales and hopefully illuminating the cave.

Light [1d10] (if roll is necessary)

Roll #1 5 = 5

 No.747310

>>747307
>>747308

"Even if mated, it fool to try and take on group. Too easy to get behind, and if try and fly, can wrap wing to crash." Noghu counters, "We no hunt, but we no flee."

 No.747311

>>747307
>>747308
"Avoid the nest. We show we ain't a threat maybe we ain't got a problem. Y'all ever fight in a tight cave? Ain't somethin you wanna get stuck doin when you actually got light. Specially ain't somethin you wanna do when whatever made the cave is out in the dark somewhere." I look the eggs over. If it does seem like it's too big of a risk then I'll head back, but if it seems like we can avoid the fight then I wanna keep movin.

[1d10]Whatever identifying the egg would be

Roll #1 10 = 10

 No.747312

>>747307
Kalidan shrugs at the ones who insistently begin climbing towards the huge nest, swishing his tail as he joins the dogs and dragon inside the dark tunnels.

Navigation [1d10]

>>747309
"That's handy," the cat remarks, appreciating the light despite his decent night vision.

Roll #1 9 = 9

 No.747313

>>747310
I nod. "Well said. Ain't here to try and kill it or nothin if we ain't gotta."

 No.747314

>>747309
You use your new draconic breath to illuminate the scene. A wisp of glowing mist comes out of your throat and lingers, shedding some much-needed light in the tunnels.

>>747309
>>747312
As Sunbeam illuminates the scene, the tunnels come into view properly. The sides of it are unnaturally smooth, glossy and rounded, like they haven't just been dug but rather melted through. It seems whatever carved out this part of the mountain did so quite some time ago.

There is a path straight forward, along with a path leading down and to the right, and two paths leading left. The first left hand path is narrower, but seems to open up into a wider space, but the second one slopes upward and turns a sharp bend, making it impossible to tell what lies beyond. Kalidan senses some fresh air coming from his left, suggesting the path forward is in one of these two.

>>747313
>>747311
>>747308
Thungr recognizes them as bird eggs; specifically, a raptor's. It must be one hell of an eagle.

"I'd rather not get carried off by a roc," Kothbiro says quietly, confirming Thungr's suspicions. She points down a winding path just past the nest which seems to lead further down the mountain. "Let's press on and try not to stir up any trouble."
>roll Navigation


[Last 50 Posts]
[Go to top] [Catalog] [Return][Post a Reply]
Delete Post [ ]
[ art / co / ot / q / qt / v ] [ 3dpd / unf ] [ g / sic ] [ countdown / hyperindex / linkboard / quest archive / stream ] [ Hamburger Time Calendar / MLPG Beacon / Donate / Game & Mumble Servers ] [ Rules & FAQs / Credits ] [ Mod ] [ home ]